There are too much blogging terms which makes it harder for beginners and aspiring bloggers that are not familiar with these terms and their meaning thus discouraging many of them to go into the blogging world.
I had a chat with this particular guy on Facebook, an aspiring blogger to be precise and while we were chatting, he said that the reason why he hasn’t started blogging despite the fact that he can blog for free using Blogspot was that “there are too many terms in blogging that he didn’t understand”.
I must say that I wasn’t really shocked but what I’m currently amazed at is the fact that this particular guy hasn’t started blogging yet so yes, it motivated me to make this post for people like that; other aspiring bloggers.
In this post, I made a list of blogging terms and their meaning so make sure you read through this post carefully.
Blogging Terms and Their Meaning
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Keyword Difficulty
- Control Panel (C-Panel)
- Central Management System (CMS)
- SEO Difficult (SD)
- Unique Article
- SSL Certificate
Meaning of the Blogging Terms
- SEO: SEO is a blogging abbreviation which stands for “Search Engine Optimization”. It is a method of optimizing your blog posts, pages etc. to make it rank higher in search engines results (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.) for the purpose of getting traffic. You can read widely on it here.
- Keyword: Keyword is the main and primary focus of a blog post for example, if you are writing on ‘how to install plugins in WordPress’ or ’10 methods of installing plugins on a WordPress blog” your keyword can be “how to install plugins in WordPress” (a short tail keyword) or “installing plugins in WordPress” (a long tail keyword).
- Keyword Difficulty (KD): This is the difficulty of a keyword which donates how hard it will be for someone to search the specific keyword on search engines. The difficulty of a keyword can be gotten from UbberSuggest, Semrush etc.
SD (SEO Difficulty): This shows or denote how hard it is to rank using a specific keyword, it could be gotten from websites like UbberSuggest or Semrush. You might also want to read this How to use Ubbersuggest more than three times a day for free
- Ranking: Ranking is the position of a blog post, pages etc. in search results. For example, you search on “how to start blogging on blogger” the first result (post) you see is said to rank #1 (First) on that particular keyword and ranks on the first page of Google. See how to rank your post here.
- Traffic: It is the number of people that reads, click or see your blog posts and pages and how they interact on your blog. If 100 people enter your blog, you have gotten 100 traffic for that day. There is too main type of traffic: Organic (From Search engines, popularly Google) and Inorganic (From external sources like Facebook, Referral, Direct, WhatsApp etc.).
- C-Panel (Control Panel): This is a server management technology of a web hosted blog that provides a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and tools automation to simplify and aid the management of a hosted blog. Read also: How to submit your blog to Google Search Console
- CMS (Content Management System): This is a software application for hosted blogs that allow the blog owners to build and manage their website without coding it from scratch or without even coding at all. A common example of this is WordPress; one of the most used and popular CMS.
- Backlinks: This are linking or referring links from one website to another. When a website, A, links to another website, B, the website B is said to have gotten backlink from the website, A. Well this can also be done within a single website, backlinks have been said to be a factor in a website ranking power so a website with more backlinks from other websites is believed to rank more than a website with less backlink. There are two types of backlinks the “no follow” and “do follow”. Read more on backlinks here.
- Unique Articles: This shows how legit, special and unique your post it, it shows that you wrote it yourself and own it, to check how unique your article is, you could use a free SEO checker.
- Downtime: This is when a blog web server is down, when a blog is experiencing a downtime the blog isn’t accessible at that time. A good example of this is the recent downtime of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp which usually happens for to server attacks, virus, bad server configuration and even bad SSL certificate configuration.
- Plugin: WordPress Plugins are basically the main functionality and building blocks or should I say supporting blocks of all blogs or websites that are built using WordPress CMS because they support and add more features to both the theme and the site as a whole, without them, blogs are less than blogs and would not even exist in its full function. To read widely on plugins and how to install and activate them, click here.
You have to find the rest of the “Blogging terms and their meaning” yourself, someone can’t tell you all and always remember to never give up.
Recommended Post: How to Write Your First Blog Post in WordPress